Wringing out the year on the World Wine Web:
• Does size matter? Probably so when it comes to wine glasses.
• Turns out, what goes on at harvest stays at harvest. Except when all is revealed.
• A fascinating piece from Andrew Jefford about the ties between a great novelist and a winemaker. Plenty to agree or disagree with here.
• My friend Larry delineated the story behind vintage Champagnes.
• I have been tempted of late to start growing orchids, even though I’ve killed every house plant I’ve ever owned. Now that an orchid that smells like Champagne has been found, the temptation is stronger.
• One of the fabulous things about wine is that the more you learn, the more you realize how little you know. To wit: just stumbled across the word aciniform.
• Finally, as holiday trees come down, it’s worth noting that it’s not just homo sapiens who enjoy them (h/t to my friend Bill):