All kinds of interesting fodder from both sides of the pond:
• The world — or at least my world — has been waiting for this: a primer on pairing wine and bacon.
• Here’s vivid proof that money can’t buy you brains: $18K of an oxidized bottle of wine.
• Great writer, great topic: Stuff like Elaine Brown’s up-close look at the far Sonoma Coast make Jancis Robinson’s website subscription worth the semi-hefty tariff.
• I’ll be judging wines this week again, and I always wonder how good a thing these competitions are. Decanter’s Andrew Jefford has a great take on the pluses and minuses, and this conclusion: “I think the wine world would be duller, more inscrutable and more hazardous without them.”
• I can’t find a date for this promising news on the health front, so it might not be fresh. But hey, it’s timeless.
• Finally, some words, or at least rationales, to live by: